Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conformed "series" dimension / survey modeling?

3 posters

Go down

Conformed "series" dimension / survey modeling? Empty Conformed "series" dimension / survey modeling?

Post  krisdecker Thu May 14, 2009 9:32 am

Hi everyone,

In the interest of intellectual discourse, I was wondering if anyone had experience modeling survey type of information?

My current project (the model is complete--I am curious about if anyone else has tackled this) involves storing survey information covering a wide variety of information related to economic forecasts.

We are moving the business users away from a Time Series DB to a dimensional model... What I came up with was a "Forecast_Fact" containing a "Value"

We have, attached to this, a DATE_DIM and a SERIES_DIM

Basically, this becomes almost a NAME--VALUE datamart...

As there are 400 unique series, it didnt quite make sense to have 400 dimensions... I could have also had them as degenerate dimensions, but there was a requirement that adding series (or dropping) should be straightforward with minimal coding changes...

krisdecker

Back to top Go down

Conformed "series" dimension / survey modeling? Empty Re: Conformed "series" dimension / survey modeling?

Post  ngalemmo Mon May 18, 2009 12:36 pm

One SERIES dimension is plenty. You just have a compound natural key: the series and the question/metric.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Conformed "series" dimension / survey modeling? Empty Re: Conformed "series" dimension / survey modeling?

Post  krisdecker Mon May 18, 2009 12:56 pm

that is pretty much what I have... I was wondering if anyone else has tackled something like this--and if they had a different approach.

Thanks for the reply! Its good to hear that we make some sense! :-)

krisdecker

Back to top Go down

Conformed "series" dimension / survey modeling? Empty modeling a survey

Post  hennie7863 Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:33 am

Currently in the same situation. I've to model results from a questionaire. Hospitals fill in these questionaire and a central organization gathers them and distribute them to all hospitals (in the netherlands) every year. As it seems now the id's of the questions and answers vary during the years (unfortunatley). So w're thinking about recoding the questions to an uniform id (a lot of work) and then import the data.

In Kimball's book i've found on page 197 a starmodel for surveys and i'm thinking about using this. Dimensions are hospital, question, possible answers, year and in the fact a varchar field with the value. So in the report i have to CAST the answer field to the approriate datatype and do some calculation stuff.

what do you think?

Hennie

hennie7863

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down