Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to handle SCD type 2 changes - when source records are archived?

4 posters

Go down

How to handle SCD type 2 changes - when source records are archived? Empty How to handle SCD type 2 changes - when source records are archived?

Post  ian.coetzer Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi Everyone

I have a problem - I have a dimension made up of 4 source tables.
so - i merge all 4 source tables (starting with a core table and left joining the rest in succession).

Now one of the 4 source tables have been archived!

when i left join all is fine - BUT the attributes coming from this 4th source table is defined as SCD type 2!

So because they are no longer found (they are now NULL = "Unknown" where it was previously something like "House")
The original dimension record is expired! and a new one is inserted - which is fine! as per design - BUT in the new one the specific attribute is 'Unknown' and in the expired dimension record it is 'House' ! I would rather have 'House' appear in the newest record?

ian.coetzer
ian.coetzer

Back to top Go down

How to handle SCD type 2 changes - when source records are archived? Empty Re: How to handle SCD type 2 changes - when source records are archived?

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 pm

I keep the old row and mark as logically deleted, meaning it no longer showed up in the source. It still is the current record for joining purposes.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

How to handle SCD type 2 changes - when source records are archived? Empty Re: How to handle SCD type 2 changes - when source records are archived?

Post  ngalemmo Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Another option is to propagate those attributes from the current row to the new row.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hang Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:23 pm

Is it about handling deletes in dimension table? If the dimension record is not found in the source, you should not insert a new row for the deletion. Instead, you mark the current record as "deleted" by a flag, possibly without even expiring the record, so that you can always leave the last record open but marked for filtering purpose.

hang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down