Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

many to many relationships in dimensional modelling???

3 posters

Go down

many to many relationships in dimensional modelling??? Empty many to many relationships in dimensional modelling???

Post  vjak001 Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:33 am

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to to dimension modelling, I appreciate if someone can answer this question, can we have many to many relationships between dimensions in dimensional modelling? if yes how do we resolve, I know in Relational Modeling we resolve using associate entity, do we have to do exactly the same or is there any other appraoach to this?

Thanking everyone in advance,
vjak

vjak001

Back to top Go down

many to many relationships in dimensional modelling??? Empty Re: many to many relationships in dimensional modelling???

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Yes, here we call it a bridge table. Search on Kimball's home page for many examples.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

many to many relationships in dimensional modelling??? Empty Heap Thanks

Post  vjak001 Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi There,

I am very glad you put me in the right direction... God Bless you mate

vjak001

Back to top Go down

many to many relationships in dimensional modelling??? Empty Re: many to many relationships in dimensional modelling???

Post  MJ Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:57 am

Ideally you should dissolve snow flaking your models i.e. modelling dimensions joined to dimensions. The bridge can also / should be used to relate the fact to the this 1 to many dimension. Using this approach adds flexibility to your model as each dimension can be used independent throughout your bus architecture.
The use of the bridge tables related to the fact is common in health models, these are the examples most commonly given in the manuals.

MJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down