Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I request an opinion on a modeling problem

3 posters

Go down

I request an opinion on a modeling problem Empty I request an opinion on a modeling problem

Post  falcon00 Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:10 pm

I've got three objects.
1. Parent Company
2. Subsidiary
3. User

I collapsed the parent/subsidiary into one dimension. I'm not sure what to do with user. A user can belong to a parent, a subsidiary, or both. I thought about snowflaking the User dimension and just putting in flags to indicate were the user belonged. Thoughts?

falcon00

Back to top Go down

I request an opinion on a modeling problem Empty Re: I request an opinion on a modeling problem

Post  ngalemmo Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Its a business state. It is handled with a fact table that contains user & parent/subsidiary as dimensions.

ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

I request an opinion on a modeling problem Empty Re: I request an opinion on a modeling problem

Post  falcon00 Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:24 pm

See I thought this looked like a factless fact table but I'm not quite certain I'm following. How exactly would you indicate that a user might belong to just one entity in the company hierarchy? I may have my parent/subsidiary table not modeled properly.

dim_user(user_ck PK)
dim_business(business_ck PK, parent, subsidiary)

now the fact table looks like:
fact_user_employer(user_ck FK, business_ck FK)

In this case I can only see that a user belongs to both. What am I missing?

falcon00

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Create a row where the Parent Company is also the subsidiary. Might change the name a little to show the Parent Company in this instance only contains users with direct relationships.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down