Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conformed Dimensions

2 posters

Go down

Conformed Dimensions Empty Conformed Dimensions

Post  hunain Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:49 am

Guys,

I have 2 Fact Tables.

1st is Survey which has Term Key, Student Key, Question Key and Response Key and Survey Key.

2nd is Student Term Enrollment, this one has Term Key, Student Key and Campus Key.

Now my issue I need to be able to report on the 1st table fact which is responses by a dimension which is stored in my 2nd fact table. The dimension is called Campus Key.

The common dimensions are term and student.

I created a context in BO for my 1st fact table where I joined to all its dimensions including the common ones term and student.

I created another context in BO for my 2nd fact table where I joined to all its dimensions including term and student.

Now my problem is I want to show survey responses by Campus which is a dimension in my 2nd fact table and it dosent work.

The query only works If i pick up a common DIMENSION which is either term or student but if you pickup CAMPUS DIMENSION (ONLY AVAILABLE IN 2ND FACT TABLE) it shows incompatible and BO does not allow you to drag it.

Can you suggest a solution.

I think I should be including the dimension campus in my survey fact table. Is this the optimal solution. I want to know what the best practise is. Thanks Guys!

hunain

Back to top Go down

Conformed Dimensions Empty Re: Conformed Dimensions

Post  ngalemmo Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Store the campus key in the survey fact. Resolve the association to the student during load.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hunain Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:47 am

Thank you very much indeed.

hunain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content