Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pipeline with Accumulating snapshot

2 posters

Go down

Pipeline with Accumulating snapshot Empty Pipeline with Accumulating snapshot

Post  sr_da Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:06 pm

I have accumulating snapshot design for insurance new business workflow process. The current grain in the fact table is policy level with all associated dates and measures from policy submission to being issued. So, in summary I have one activce entry per policy in the fact table. This is working very well in current BI environment.

Need help on the following new requirement:
Policy dimension can have many underwriting requirements associated to it. Similarly policy dimension is associated to many policy riders. In this case, should I be creating two additional factless fact tables with UW requirement and policy rider as dimensions along with policy and insured dimension (i.e., Policy Rider Fact and Policy UW Reqmt Fact) to handle one to many relationship with policy?

Or is there an alternate option.

I would appreciate the input.

Thanks!

sr_da

Back to top Go down

Pipeline with Accumulating snapshot Empty Re: Pipeline with Accumulating snapshot

Post  ngalemmo Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:17 pm

Your solution is fine.

In addition, you may also want to consider treating riders and/or underwriting requirements as a multi-valued dimension off the main fact table. An MV group structure allows you to easily do additional analysis such as, 'for policies with rider x, what are the top 5 other riders customers usually choose?' or, 'which policies have riders x and either rider y or z?'.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Pipeline with Accumulating snapshot Empty Re: Pipeline with Accumulating snapshot

Post  sr_da Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:33 pm

Thank you, appreciate the input. Could you please elaborate more on multi-valued dimension use in this scenario.

sr_da

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down