Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using Kimball Excel Dimensional Model template

2 posters

Go down

Using Kimball Excel Dimensional Model template Empty Using Kimball Excel Dimensional Model template

Post  hortoristic Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Whenever I use the Kimball Excel Dimensional Model template, and use the "Create / Update Diagram" button, it seems to skip the first fact row in creating my bubble chart. Seems like I always hit this snag and forget how to quickly fix it?

Example on FACT worksheet:

Column Name:
AddressDimKey ...
InsertAuditKey ...
UpdateAuditKey ...

It creates a bubble graph with my fact in middle, but only draws an Insert and Update bubble - it skips the AddressDimKey.

hortoristic

Back to top Go down

Using Kimball Excel Dimensional Model template Empty Re: Using Kimball Excel Dimensional Model template

Post  nick_white Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:28 am

Is this template available to download from somewhere? If it is then let me know and I'll have a look at it

Regards,

nick_white

Back to top Go down

Using Kimball Excel Dimensional Model template Empty Re: Using Kimball Excel Dimensional Model template

Post  hortoristic Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:36 am

http://www.kimballgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/DW-Toolkit-Excel-Data-Model-3.4.zip

hortoristic

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_white Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 am

Seems to work fine for me. I took the "MDWToolkit Datamodel 3.4 MDWDAdventureWorks 2005 version.xlsm" workbook, updated the blank fact sheet so that the first 2 rows referenced product and promotion and when I generated the diagrams it created the blank fact with 4 links (product, promotion and the 2 audit dims

nick_white

Back to top Go down

Post  hortoristic Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:05 am

Using Office 2013?

hortoristic

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_white Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:15 am

No - 2010. Sorry, I don't have 2013.

However it should be reasonably straightforward for you to debug the macro code - presumably it is one of the calls to DrawDims near the end of Sub WTDraw that is causing your problem. Just put a breakpoint near the top of the DrawDims code and then step through it

nick_white

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down