Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fact to Dimension Join (Best Practice)

3 posters

Go down

Fact to Dimension Join (Best Practice) Empty Fact to Dimension Join (Best Practice)

Post  BIDW Thu May 07, 2015 5:13 am

I have a table which records the date/time when an employee uploads a specific document type such as Information Form, Request for Advance Form and so on. I have a dimension table which will list down all the available document types/forms in the system.

I now have a requirement to prepare a report which will list down for each employee all document types with a tick mark based on if they have uploaded.

The problem is I only to get see document types if the employee is uploaded them. How can i see all document types for an employee even if they have not uploaded them.

BIDW

Back to top Go down

Fact to Dimension Join (Best Practice) Empty Re:Fact to Dimension Join (Best Practice)

Post  hkandpal Thu May 07, 2015 11:44 am

Hi,

If you need the list of document printed for each day by employee or you just need the document types per employee only once.
if it is the later then try doing a Outer join between the dimension and the fact table.

thanks

hkandpal

Back to top Go down

Fact to Dimension Join (Best Practice) Empty Re: Fact to Dimension Join (Best Practice)

Post  BIDW Sat May 09, 2015 4:28 am

What is the best practice as this would be a very common theme in dimensional modelling.

We would show the dimension value irrespeticve of the fact occurrence.

Thanks

BIDW

Back to top Go down

Fact to Dimension Join (Best Practice) Empty Re: Fact to Dimension Join (Best Practice)

Post  ngalemmo Sat May 09, 2015 12:33 pm

As hk stated, you do an outer join.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down