Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extraction layer on SOA/ESB architecture

4 posters

Go down

Extraction layer on SOA/ESB architecture Empty Extraction layer on SOA/ESB architecture

Post  Tenrinho Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:38 am

Hi,

I'm going to start to develop a Data Warehouse on a company who is starting to move the different systems to a ESB, basically adapting a SOA architecture (simplify and split large services to small services and get them "talking" with each other through the ESB with SOAP messages). I wanted to know, based on your professional experience what are usually the best practices regarding the extraction layer:

1-Where should I get the data from? from the ESB or connect directly to service databases and do the extraction?
2-When connecting to the ESB, should I do a continuous data integration or request all the differential data during the less busy period (usually during the night)?
3-If receiving data as SOAP messages, how easy are they to integrate on the staging area?

Any tips and tricks from your experience please let me know

Regards!

Last edited by Tenrinho on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : small mistakes)

Tenrinho

Back to top Go down

Extraction layer on SOA/ESB architecture Empty Re: Extraction layer on SOA/ESB architecture

Post  ngalemmo Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:51 am

All good questions, but the correct choice depends on specific use cases. All the options open to you may or may not be valid choices based on business need and specific operational scenarios.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Extraction layer on SOA/ESB architecture Empty Re: Extraction layer on SOA/ESB architecture

Post  zoom Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:49 am

Ask your IT developer at what place data is stable/finalized to retrieve? All Databases have data locking mechanism to ensure data is inserted or updated correctly.... the ACID semantics. ACID is an acronym that stands for atomicity, consistency, isolation, and durability.... (atomicity means a transaction either happens in totality or rolls back. Consistency means each modification to the database takes it from one consistent state to the other. Inconsistent and unresolved states do not exist. Isolation provides the assurance that some other process cannot modify a piece of data when an operation in progress is using it. Durability implies all committed data can be recovered from any sort of a system failure.)

If users are asking for real time data then you need to define with them the definition of real time... meaning 10 minutes delay or 30 minutes delay when they see the data from the source to DW. If users are not looking for real time data then load data after business hours ( again users should tell you about this too). Kimball described real time data load approach in detail in his DW tool book.

zoom

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:12 pm

For real time or near real time warehouses, leverage the ESB. For overnight batch loads, hit the databases directly.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down