Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Economic example data-ODS-RDL-DDL-frontend

3 posters

Go down

Economic example data-ODS-RDL-DDL-frontend Empty Economic example data-ODS-RDL-DDL-frontend

Post  SonGoku Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:59 am

Hi,
I need a short economic example from the process data --> ODS --> RDL --> DDL --> frontend.
I don`t know a good example for this. I hope you can help me.
Thank you

SonGoku

Back to top Go down

Economic example data-ODS-RDL-DDL-frontend Empty Re: Economic example data-ODS-RDL-DDL-frontend

Post  ngalemmo Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:59 am

I know of one interpretation of 'DDL' and 'ODS' but not a use that would make too much sense in the same sentence. What do the acronyms mean?
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Economic example data-ODS-RDL-DDL-frontend Empty Re: Economic example data-ODS-RDL-DDL-frontend

Post  SonGoku Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:47 am

ngalemmo wrote:I know of one interpretation of 'DDL' and 'ODS' but not a use that would make too much sense in the same sentence.  What do the acronyms mean?

The process from the data source to the Operational Data Store(ODS)(optional) to the Reconciled Data Layer (RDL) to the Data Marts(Derived Data Layer)(DDL) and than the MSS-Frontend
I hope it helps :-) thank you for the fast answer

SonGoku

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:40 am

I have not seen the use of RDL or DDL to describe components in a data warehouse architecture. There are three major data warehouse architectures: Kimball, Inmon and Lindstedt. The latter two are store and publish architectures with separate components for the EDW (enterprise data warehouse) and analytics (data marts). In Kimball's architecture, the marts are the data warehouse.

From a process perspective the difference in a store and publish architecture is there is a separate publication step to place data into marts after loading into the EDW. In Kimball's architecture, data is loaded directly to marts, so there isn't a separate publication step.

As far as an ODS goes, this is a separate component in all of the architectures. Nobody really gets into much detail about ODS's other than to say it may be used as a source to a DW.

ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SonGoku Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:58 pm

Ok thank you

SonGoku

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:02 pm

For the record, DDL stands for data definition language. Using it in any other context will only confuse people.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down