Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prototype Project Schedule for BI Project

3 posters

Go down

Prototype Project Schedule for BI Project Empty Prototype Project Schedule for BI Project

Post  speterson@newbelgium.com Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi All:

I just wanted to send a quick note to ask if any of the users here had an example of a Project Schedule for a BI Project. I am generally curious about rules of thumb for things like validation, testing, launch, training, etc.

Many thanks,

Susan

speterson@newbelgium.com

Back to top Go down

Prototype Project Schedule for BI Project Empty Testing, Validating to Requirements

Post  andylachapelle Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi Susan,

I'd be curious to what kind of replies you get along the lines of testing, validation, and requirements. As a QA team member, I'm particpating in a DW/BI project in our company for the first time. Up to now, we've been dealing with testing GUI apps and some SOA. I have some background in BI with Oracle Discoverer some time back, and I know a good amount of SQL. I'm struggling to get the project team to understand the need for testable requirements to validate date from the source, through staging, into star schemas, marts, etc. There seems to be a consnensus of "Well, QA has to make sure it is right." However, no one seems to be able to build a testable requirement defining what is "right".

Fortunately, the team sees this shortcoming. How we address it, well, that's to be continued...

I'll keep an eye on this forum - as I get answers I'll post them in the hopes that it will help. I'll also be watching to see what ideas people have in project plans specific to this aspect of the project.

Thanks,
Andy

andylachapelle

Back to top Go down

Prototype Project Schedule for BI Project Empty Re: Prototype Project Schedule for BI Project

Post  jimbo1580 Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:09 am

I agree that this is a difficult task. I have had trouble in the past defining test cases for transactional system reports because when a lot of data is getting combined/aggregated/broken down in a report it is very difficult to verify that the numbers are correct. It's easy enough to know if the report is workinf functionallly, but to know if the data is correct is a different story. I think you need to run the initial data load and get the business users involved in testing to make sure the reports are showing data that seems to be correct.

jimbo1580

Back to top Go down

Prototype Project Schedule for BI Project Empty Re: Prototype Project Schedule for BI Project

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down