Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accumlated fact v/s transaction fact

2 posters

Go down

Accumlated fact v/s transaction fact Empty Accumlated fact v/s transaction fact

Post  Vishy Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:05 am

Currently I am reviewing a Dimmodel for a recruiting domain project.
I am not happy as per how the modeler has done that as for each activity or each phase he is adding a row in the fact.

For example -

Resume Reveived
Screening
I st interview
II Interview
HR Interview
Offer Given
Offer accepted
A candidate would go through all these stages (if..) and for each stage a row will go to the fact.
As per ralph Kimball if we have to design a model for a activity which time bound or for small period we should use accumlated fact and not a transaction kind of fact.

Accumlated fact helps in reporting as you get all the details from on row and answer many business questions from a simple query.
If transaction fact is used you need to create subqueries for answering the same questions.

whats opinion?

Vishy

Back to top Go down

Accumlated fact v/s transaction fact Empty Re: Accumlated fact v/s transaction fact

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:58 am

Sounds like a great use for an accumulating snapshot. Anytime you are modeling a workflow, accumulating snapshots should be considered.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Accumlated fact v/s transaction fact Empty Re: Accumlated fact v/s transaction fact

Post  Vishy Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Thanks,

But I still wonder why we don't see many accumulated fact in projects ???

1) Have people forgot this approach ?? OR
2) they are more used to transaction/snapshot facts so never think on other lines OR
3) Modelers get scared of adding few more columns for creating accumulated fact but still happy with too many rows and hell complexity in report development. OR

4) ER modelers doing dimensional modeling and they psychologically trapped in normalized things and consider accumulated fact a SHIT.

Kimball has openly advocated this type of facts and I have seen this used in few successful projects but mostly this idea has been neglected !!!

Vishy

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:14 pm

5. People are undeducated on the different solutions that are available.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down