Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Updating a fact table ?

3 posters

Go down

Updating a fact table ? Empty Updating a fact table ?

Post  exhortae Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi,

I have a fact table with approximately 16 columns, each night I insert in this fact table about 100 000 rows, but at that time I only have the information to fill 10 columns. It's only the next day that I can update the missing 6 columns (when the information is available).

I may add that I don't update all the 100 000 rows but only 880 - 1000 rows. And I wonder which one of these two methods is the best :

* To update the fact table or,
* To create another fact table with only the 6 columns missing and make a 1 to 1 relation between the two tables (2 columns in the first fact table joined to two columns of the other table)

Thank you.

exhortae

Back to top Go down

Updating a fact table ? Empty Re: Updating a fact table ?

Post  ngalemmo Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:42 pm

It depends on what the fact table and the late arriving items represent. There is simply not enough information to recommend one way or the other.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  exhortae Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:38 am

Hi,

The first fact table consists of an inventory of unpaid loans (unpaid at day - 2 of the report), the second fact table is a transaction one consisting of payments made on some of the unpaid loans of the first fact table (at day - 1 of the report).

the users will query these fact tables together (example : what is the amount paid on an unpaid loan and since when the loan was unpaid....)

thanks

exhortae

Back to top Go down

Post  John Simon Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Just update it. Thomas Kejser on his blog shows that updates aren't as bad as people believe in terms of performance, and can be faster than an insert.

John Simon

http://jsimonbi.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  exhortae Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:47 pm

John Simon wrote:Just update it. Thomas Kejser on his blog shows that updates aren't as bad as people believe in terms of performance, and can be faster than an insert.

Thanks, I guess I need to try it

exhortae

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down