Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Issue of Objects for Customer Names A-D, E-H....

2 posters

Go down

Issue of Objects for Customer Names A-D, E-H.... Empty Issue of Objects for Customer Names A-D, E-H....

Post  Afaf Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:47 pm

How about if I want to make a prompt, so user is prompted to choose from a set of customre names, then he chooses them each time, which might work better.
SO I can create few custoomer name dimension objects, and then how would the user be able to choose one of these ....
Any suggestions on how to do this??

Afaf

Back to top Go down

Issue of Objects for Customer Names A-D, E-H.... Empty Customer subset pick lists

Post  warrent Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Based on the title, it sounds like you'd like to allow users to choose a character range (e.g. A-D), then show them a list of customers with last names beginning from A to D. Is this right?

If so, you wouldn't need to actually create separate customer sub-tables. Most BI tools will let you create a parameter which you could include as a constraint in the query against the full customer table. For example, you could set the parameter @NameSubset to be " 'A' AND 'BZZZ' " based on the user selection.
Then pull the name list from the Customer table like this:
SELECT Name FROM Customer WHERE Name BETWEEN @NameSubset

Obviously, there are lots of ways to write the syntax. Let me know if this works or if you are thinking of something else.
warrent
warrent

Back to top Go down

Issue of Objects for Customer Names A-D, E-H.... Empty Re: Issue of Objects for Customer Names A-D, E-H....

Post  Afaf Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks, it is pretty close to what you said, however, what i was thinking that to create 4 customer name dim objects, one will customer A-f, other will be customer G-L and so on.....

so it ill be much easier, i guess just writing in the where clause as most people have suggested, should work....

Afaf

Back to top Go down

Issue of Objects for Customer Names A-D, E-H.... Empty Re: Issue of Objects for Customer Names A-D, E-H....

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down