Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joining multiple star schema in BO

Go down

Joining multiple star schema in BO Empty Joining multiple star schema in BO

Post  Swati Gutgutia on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi,

I have two star schema with common dimension tables.
I want to create data foundation in BO in such a manner so that i can query upon Fact 1 and Dim 1...Dim n, fact 2 and Dim 1..Dim n and, Fact 1, Fact 2 and Dim 1...Dim N
I have created
1. one context for one star schema with Fact 1 and related dimension tables (Dim 1...Dim n)
2. one context for one star schema with Fact 2 and related dimension tables (Dim 1...Dim n)
3. One context using Fact 1 and Dim 1(conformed dimension) and Fact 2 and Dim 1 (conformed dimension)

Now, when i am using the reporting layer
1. Upon using both the fact table and the dimension table I see two queries being generated. Which are then getting Unioned and giving me the result. Will this give correct reslut?
I want to have a single query that picks fact from both the fact tables having dimension members of Dim 1 common in both of them

I am stuck with a deadline, Will really appreciate a quick response.

Swati Gutgutia

Back to top Go down

Joining multiple star schema in BO Empty Joining multiple star schema in BO

Post  rathjeevesh on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Use the option of merging of dimension. Use two independent data provider for star schema 1 and another for star schema 2. Then merge the result based upon your common dimension which will do a left outer join between these results.
Please clarify on your exact reporting requirement. Then a concrete solution can be proposed.

rathjeevesh

Back to top Go down

Joining multiple star schema in BO Empty Re: Joining multiple star schema in BO

Post  ngalemmo on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Swati Gutgutia wrote:
1. Upon using both the fact table and the dimension table I see two queries being generated. Which are then getting Unioned and giving me the result. Will this give correct reslut?

This is correct.

Swati Gutgutia wrote:I want to have a single query that picks fact from both the fact tables having dimension members of Dim 1 common in both of them

No, this is absolutely NOT what you want it to do. BOBJ handles star schema correctly. Don't mess with it.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Joining multiple star schema in BO Empty Re: Joining multiple star schema in BO

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum