Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

annual salary

4 posters

Go down

annual salary Empty annual salary

Post  varun Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:13 pm

I am currently calculating annual salary and bringing it in my salary fact. Now I have another model where annual salary is not calculated and is like an attribute of an employee. Should I still keep it in the fact to be consistent or can I have annual salary in my employee dimension?
Thank you,

varun

Back to top Go down

annual salary Empty Re: annual salary

Post  Jeff Smith Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:42 pm

If you need the calculated annual salary, then call it something different than the non-calculated salary.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  thedude Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 am

Jeff Smith wrote:If you need the calculated annual salary, then call it something different than the non-calculated salary.

I think the problem is where to store it, not what to call it.

If you don't need to aggregrate the salary then I don't see why it can't be an attribute of the employee.

thedude

Back to top Go down

Post  varun Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Correct the issue that I have is that I am not sure where to store it. If i store it in my employee dimension( conformed dimension) then I will have the same field in the dimension as well as the fact.

varun

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Most folks will create a salary band dimension to classify salaries for reporting. In rare cases, aggregate metrics can also be stored in the dimension when needed for filtering. The challenges with doing this should be self evident.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down