Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Branch dimension

4 posters

Go down

Branch dimension Empty Branch dimension

Post  remiby Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:53 am

I have many dimensions (employee, client, deposit, loan...) linked to a Branch dimension.
Should I snowflake putting a branch_key in each dimension (snowflake) or should I create factless fact tables for each relation?
Last option would be to put only few attributes of my branch dim in each dimension to avoid snowflaking.
What do you think?

remiby

http://www.horus-df.com/

Back to top Go down

Branch dimension Empty Re: Branch dimension

Post  ngalemmo Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:45 pm

Why isn't branch a dimension off the fact?
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:54 am

I wouldn't copy all the branch attributes to the other dimensions. I would try to manage the branch relationships through the fact table. If I had reporting the only used dimensions (all employees in a branch), I would just keep the snowflakes.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  sgudavalli Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:21 pm

remiby wrote:I have many dimensions (employee, client, deposit, loan...) linked to a Branch dimension.
Should I snowflake putting a branch_key in each dimension (snowflake) or should I create factless fact tables for each relation?
Last option would be to put only few attributes of my branch dim in each dimension to avoid snowflaking.
What do you think?

When you say you got dimensions (employee, client, deposit and loan ... ) linked to a Branch dimension..

Lets say an Employee made a deposit....

1. the employee can be from branch X..
2. the loan can be taken from branch Y
3. the deposit might have done at branch Z
4. the client might be from Branch A

Simplest solution is to add four more dimensional keys to fact table (employeebranch, clientbranch, depositbranch, loanbranch ...)
and create a simple star schema and it makes everyone's life easy.

If all you need is a branch name; i would say go ahead and add it to individual dimension table. As it avoids creating seperate dimension table and extra dimensional keys to fact table..

sgudavalli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down