Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insurance Policy Submission Cube

3 posters

Go down

Insurance Policy Submission Cube Empty Insurance Policy Submission Cube

Post  scabral Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi,

I would like to build a fact table that tracks homeowner's insurance policy submissions. This table would measure policies that were quoted and/or issued.

The source data is stored by policy with a Quote Date and an Issue Date and a policy_status field. Every policy would have a quote date and if the policy was issued, it would have an issue date. Quoted policies that have not been issued have a policy_status field of 'quote'. Issued policies have a policy_status field of 'Issued'.

Dimensions would be State, Agent, Territory, Quote Date, Issue Date, etc...

I'm looking for some suggestions on the best way to store the data in a fact table. Should I just store a count of each quote and a count of each issued by date? I basically just need to get the numbers of quotes and the number of issues by any one of the dimensions.

thanks
Scott

scabral

Back to top Go down

Insurance Policy Submission Cube Empty Re:Insurance Policy Submission Cube

Post  hkandpal Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:07 am

Hi,

you could build an accumulating snapshot fact table where you will capture the quote and if a policy is issue then add the issue information.
If you need the count then you can capture the count in a summary table.

thanks

hkandpal

Back to top Go down

Insurance Policy Submission Cube Empty Re: Insurance Policy Submission Cube

Post  scabral Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:03 am

hkandpal,

I understand the accumulating snapshot part in order to create a record for each policy and fill in the quote dates and issued dates as they occur. But what do you mean when you say store the counts in a summary table? Are you talking about a separate table all together? How would it join to the accumulating snapshot? I would need to get counts for number of quotes for each year or counts of quotes that were issued, etc...

thanks
Scott

scabral

Back to top Go down

Post  hkandpal Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:13 pm

Scott,

it is better to have the counts/sums stored in a seperate summary table or a materalized view or calcualate those number during run time and have the fact only contain the granular data which in you case is quote number.
If you send a refised quote dose it get a new number ?

thanks

hkandpal

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 pm

hkandpal wrote:Scott,

it is better to have the counts/sums stored in a seperate summary table or a materalized view or calcualate those number during run time and have the fact only contain the granular data which in you case is quote number.
If you send a refised quote dose it get a new number ?

thanks

You lost me there. Why is it better? The whole premise is designed on summing granular data. Only aggregate when needed for performance.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  scabral Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:37 am

The grain of the fact table will be one row per quote. If the policy is never issued, only the quote date will be filled in with a blank issue date. If the policy gets issued, then the issue date will be filled in at the time of issue. I also need to be able to count the number of quotes, number of issues, and then do a conversion rate on how many quotes actually become issued and be able to see that value by any of the dimensions available (State, Agent, Territory, etc...)

scabral

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down