Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to measure litmus test and justify the feasibility quadrant

2 posters

Go down

How to measure litmus test and justify the feasibility quadrant Empty How to measure litmus test and justify the feasibility quadrant

Post  yugicm Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:53 am

Hi,

i just learn about business dimensional lifecycle. i have a very early question regarding on this method.
1. On the first stage, which is the project planning, one of the method is with litmus test, what i would like to know is how do we get the final score of the test. i just know the weight of each factor (60%, 15%, 5%, 5%, 15%), but don't know to calculate and how much is the minimum score in order to past the litmus test.
2. On the second stage, which is the business requirement definition, there's an analysis method to determine the requirement, that's the feasibility quadrant method. what i would like to know is, how am i determine an organization is really need data warehouse that have high business impact and high feasibility, is there any method? like swot method.

thank you for your attention.

best regards

rizal

yugicm

Back to top Go down

How to measure litmus test and justify the feasibility quadrant Empty Re: How to measure litmus test and justify the feasibility quadrant

Post  yugicm Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:48 pm

does anyone implement the business dimensional lifecycle? cos i think my question is the most important step in order to start the datawarehouse project.

yugicm

Back to top Go down

How to measure litmus test and justify the feasibility quadrant Empty Re: How to measure litmus test and justify the feasibility quadrant

Post  warrent Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:17 am

Hi, Rizal,

yugicm wrote:1. On the first stage, which is the project planning, one of the method is with litmus test, what i would like to know is how do we get the final score of the test. i just know the weight of each factor (60%, 15%, 5%, 5%, 15%), but don't know to calculate and how much is the minimum score in order to past the litmus test.
These percentages represent how often each factor is typically a problem and won't really figure in scoring a particular organization. In other words, 6 out of 10 warehouse projects that run into trouble do so because they didn't build the business sponsorship relationships they needed.

I did create a spreadsheet a few years ago that allows you to score your company on several related factors and get a sense for whether you were headed for trouble or not. I'll try and dig it up and post a link to it.

yugicm wrote:2. On the second stage, which is the business requirement definition, there's an analysis method to determine the requirement, that's the feasibility quadrant method. what i would like to know is, how am i determine an organization is really need data warehouse that have high business impact and high feasibility, is there any method? like swot method.

The prioritization grid is meant to help identify need. First, you must talk to the business people and identify several major opportunities that would be enabled by information (the requirements interviews). Then you work with senior management to place these opportunities on the prioritization grid where one axis is the business value of the opportunity and the other is the feasibility (how easy it is to do).

All those opportunities with high business value that are relatively easy to do are the ones worth doing. If you don't have any opportunities in this category (the upper right quadrant), it may not be worth building a data warehouse. Does this make sense

--Warren
warrent
warrent

Back to top Go down

Post  yugicm Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:15 am

Hi Warrent, thanks for the response. i really appreciate if you could post that file. Thanks alot.

rizal

yugicm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down