Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regarding mapping and effort estimation

2 posters

Go down

Regarding mapping and effort estimation Empty Regarding mapping and effort estimation

Post  sanmur Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi,

I'm a ETL developer for past 2 years and 2 months. I always have this questions. Please help me to appreciate

1) Whose responsibility is it to give the source to target mapping. Is it etl developer responsibility or a data modeler or designer responsibility?. Most of the time in my work, etl developer is pushed to take this up and validate the mapping with the business users. I found it very difficult to do it along with the etl job. Is it how it was done? Are there any predefined roles and responsibility matrix?

2) How to estimate the mapping effort while your have lot of unknown's? Lot of time I gave a estimates based on what we think. But when there is new data pattern, altogether it requires addition effort and was forced to work late. Please guide

Many Thanks
San

sanmur

Back to top Go down

Regarding mapping and effort estimation Empty Re: Regarding mapping and effort estimation

Post  ngalemmo Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:05 am

Generally mapping specs are worked out by a business analyst and an ETL architect. It is not a good idea to have the developer also write the specs.

If there are a lot of unknowns and you need to give an estimate, document your understanding of the work you are estimating and list risks based on the unknowns. Make it clear that the work effort may change as new information is uncovered. As issues arise, document them and provide a estimate to resolve the issue.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down