Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To get max of top 10 records in SQL SERVER

4 posters

Go down

To get max of top 10 records in SQL SERVER Empty To get max of top 10 records in SQL SERVER

Post  sudip.bandyopadhyay Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:36 am

Its not a problem but a very interesting doubt that I am having. I want to get the maximum of the top 10 defect id from the Defect table.
The Maximum defect id is 4062 and the Minimum is 139.

I am running the query
Code:
select top 10 defect_key from DEFECT_DIM

RESULT SET:

Now when I am running the query

Code:
select max(a.defect_key) from
(select top 10 defect_key from DEFECT_DIM)a

the RESULT is: 4062 and not the 148. Why this is coming ? Whereas from the top 10 defect id the maximum value should be 148.

More interestingly when I am running the query as:

Code:
(select top 10 defect_key from DEFECT_DIM
order by defect_key asc)a

The RESULT is: 148

Can you please tell me why the

Code:
(select top 10 defect_key from DEFECT_DIM)a

is not giving the expected result as 148 ?

[b]

sudip.bandyopadhyay

Back to top Go down

To get max of top 10 records in SQL SERVER Empty Re: To get max of top 10 records in SQL SERVER

Post  EvanJones Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:51 am

try putting the "order by" in the first query, then comparing them

EvanJones

Back to top Go down

To get max of top 10 records in SQL SERVER Empty Re: To get max of top 10 records in SQL SERVER

Post  VHF Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:33 am

When you don't specify an ORDER BY SQL Server is free to order records however it sees fit. If there is an ascending clustered index often this will be used, but not always, and joins or other operations will affect what ordering it chooses.

Note that you can't really think of a subquery is as an intermediate result set--SQL Server doesn't necessarily finishing processing the subquery before doing the outer query.

Here's a way to get the results you want using a table variable (which does explicitly create an intermediate result set from which to pull out the max value):

DECLARE @defects TABLE (
defect_key int
)

INSERT INTO @defects
SELECT TOP 10 defect_key FROM DEFECT_DIM

SELECT MAX(defect_key) FROM @defects

VHF

Back to top Go down

Post  miloson24 Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:49 am

By 'idividual DB' I assume you mean multiple schema residing on the same physical database server. There is no problem with this. If they are physically separate systems, then you will experience performance issues trying to do joins.

miloson24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down