Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building data warehouse for Bespoke ERP

2 posters

Go down

Building data warehouse for Bespoke ERP  Empty Building data warehouse for Bespoke ERP

Post  hai_shailesh Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:29 am

Hi All,
Currently my job is to build a data warehouse. we are working with bespoke ERP (HR,Finance,Commercial,Technical,Producation schemas/Modules) by using oracle forms and reports having oracle as source.Business is using Oracle reports/Discoverer to generate reports from the production database(OLTP). Now we want to build a data warehouse and use OBIEE to generate the reports from the data warehouse. so that only real time operations are done on OLTP side and reporting from the data ware house(Data Marts/EDW).
My primary job is to connect OBIEE and generate some reports for Finance/HR...any module(Testing Phase)
for this iam going for Bottom-UP approach to design DWH(Suggest me if iam wrong):

OLTP(Oracle) ---> consists ACDBA(Finance) ,HRDBA,CODBA(Commercial),THDBA(Technical,PRDBA(Production) Schemas. for my scenario(Finance Data Mart/Reports), how i can start

1). What is staging Area in practical - How to build
2). Staging and ODS are same?
3). ETL Process

Terms which iam using my be not as per the standard - as iam starter in this domain , Please exceuse

Tahnks in Advance.

Regards,
Shailesh Kulkarni

hai_shailesh

Back to top Go down

Building data warehouse for Bespoke ERP  Empty Re: Building data warehouse for Bespoke ERP

Post  ngalemmo Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:15 am

Why are you using OBIEE? The only advantage OBIEE brings is if you are using Oracle Financials and related modules. OBIEE provides most of the ETL processes you would need to populated their DW model. If your ERP system is truely one-of-a-kind, the OBIEE processes and model are of little use.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Building data warehouse for Bespoke ERP  Empty Building data warehouse for Bespoke ERP

Post  hai_shailesh Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:50 am

ngalemmo wrote:Why are you using OBIEE? The only advantage OBIEE brings is if you are using Oracle Financials and related modules. OBIEE provides most of the ETL processes you would need to populated their DW model. If your ERP system is truely one-of-a-kind, the OBIEE processes and model are of little use.

Hi,
Thanks for the immediate response.
I agree with your explanation.
But Can't we implement OBIEE(Not OBIA - Prebuilted) environment to the companys which are not using Oracle Apps?
By using OBIEE we can create Reports,dashboards as per the departments requirement right. for this we need to develop a warehouse.
for a trail basis we wanted to build Data Marts/DWH for Finance/HR Module to show some reports/Dashboards to the managemnt.later we'll go for total EDW development.

for this task(build Data Marts/DWH for Finance/HR Module) , i have some doubts
1). am approaching Bottom-UP Design , suggest if iam wrong
2).What is staging Area in practical - How to build and is it required?
3).Difference between ODI and Staging area
4). Can you suugest me some real time scenarios to build FInance/HR Dimensional modeling

what iam doing is in correct path or not , Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,
Shailesh Kulkarni

hai_shailesh

Back to top Go down

Building data warehouse for Bespoke ERP  Empty Re : Building data warehouse for Bespoke ERP

Post  hai_shailesh Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:49 am

Please suggest me for my query.

Thanks

hai_shailesh

Back to top Go down

Building data warehouse for Bespoke ERP  Empty Re: Building data warehouse for Bespoke ERP

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down