Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Factless fact

3 posters

Go down

Factless fact Empty Factless fact

Post  dbadwh Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi,
I am having this question for long time on fact less fact. Whenever I read about fact less fact, all the documents mention about what is fact less fact and how to use it and where to use it. My questions is why it is needed? When there is no fact why it is required in its first place.? Is it not increase lot of joins and increase the complexity? What is the background behind the fact less facts? I totally understand that, without fact table will lead to snow flaking. But what is the use of fact table which does not have facts. Even though it is very basic and fundamental questions, I am not getting any answer for it. Every where it is written that, to join dimension a fact table should be used, even if there is no fact, a fact less fact should be used. Can any one clarify on the same?

dbadwh

Back to top Go down

Factless fact Empty Re: Factless fact

Post  ngalemmo Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Don't confuse facts with measures. A fact may or may not have measures, but it is still a fact.

Fact tables without measures (i.e. factless fact tables) usually represent a business state rather than a business event. In your previous post, the relationship between a customer and a broker is an example of such a state.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:45 pm

I always put a fact such as "Count of fact" on what would normally be a factless fact with a value of 1. If I need to count facts I can just sum the Count field. I do it because some reporting tools have trouble with factless fact tables.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  dbadwh Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:57 pm

ngalemmo wrote:Don't confuse facts with measures. A fact may or may not have measures, but it is still a fact.

Fact tables without measures (i.e. factless fact tables) usually represent a business state rather than a business event. In your previous post, the relationship between a customer and a broker is an example of such a state.
Thank you for the clarification.

dbadwh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down