Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dimension vs Attribute

3 posters

Go down

Dimension vs Attribute Empty Dimension vs Attribute

Post  Mohit Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:20 am

Hi

Can you please let me know when should we go for a separate dimension?

For example, for our Sales reporting purpose, if we need to show only Customer Name along with other sales attribute so is it required to create a separate Customer dimension for this attribute or It can be kept in sales dimension as an attribute?

Thanks in Advance!!

Mohit

Back to top Go down

Dimension vs Attribute Empty Re: Dimension vs Attribute

Post  Jeff Smith Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Chances are, you'll create aggregates for Sales that don't include individual customers, which suggests that seperate dimensions would be in order.

Lets say you have 1 million customers and 4 sales regions. And lets say over the course of a year, the 1 million customers did a total of 100 million transactions (your fact table). Lets say you want to roll up those transactions by the 4 sales regions. If Sales Region is in your Customer Dimension, your query would include a join between 1 table with 100 million rows and a table with 1 million rows, and then aggregate the data to the 4 sales regions.

But if the 4 sales regions were in their own dimension, then your query would be 1 table with 100 million rows to a table with 4 rows, which would be a considerable performance improvement.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:25 am

Sales dimension sounds fishy to me. It sounds like a 1-1 to a sales fact. Sales are things you count, not filter by.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Mohit Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks Jeff !!!!
This answers to my question.

Mohit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content