Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bridge Table - What is in the Fact tbl?

3 posters

Go down

Bridge Table - What is in the Fact tbl? Empty Bridge Table - What is in the Fact tbl?

Post  epekarik Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:54 am

Hello,

I see lots of topics about populating and querying Bridge tables for Ragged Hierarchy. I'm not finding any examples of populating the fact table that shows what really is in the Fact table row. I mean real data examples, a few actual rows with key(s) clearly showing.

My measures are arriving on the lowest org level a.k.a the store level. (Some stores are directly reporting to Division, not to Region therefore we need the Bridge table because it is Ragged org hierarchy)

Company Org;
HQ
Division
Region
Store

Measures arriving;
$5 Store-1
$10 Store-2
$2 Store-3

Question:
Does the Dim_Store houses rows for the HQ and all the Divisions, and all the Regions (like they were stores)? I believe I have to add them to the Store dimension because the bridge table has their "keys" as FK
Am I correct to assume that the Fact table will NOT have rows with the Store_Key pointing to the HQ, Division or Region records in the Dim_Store table?

Thank you

Endre

Last edited by epekarik on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
epekarik
epekarik

Back to top Go down

Bridge Table - What is in the Fact tbl? Empty Re: Bridge Table - What is in the Fact tbl?

Post  LAndrews Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Your example doesn't require a bridge table. A bridge table usually is required when the levels are not fixed.

Your DIM_STORE dimension could have attributes for Region, Division etc.

The grain of your fact is store... therefore the fact table will have the store_key.

LAndrews

Back to top Go down

Bridge Table - What is in the Fact tbl? Empty Re: Bridge Table - What is in the Fact tbl?

Post  epekarik Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank you. You say that I don't need bridge table. "A bridge table usually is required when the levels are not fixed." I believe my organizational hierarchy is not fixed because a Store can be a child of any levels.
E.
epekarik
epekarik

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:13 pm

epekarik wrote:

Question:
Does the Dim_Store houses rows for the HQ and all the Divisions, and all the Regions (like they were stores)? I believe I have to add them to the Store dimension because the bridge table has their "keys" as FK
Am I correct to assume that the Fact table will NOT have rows with the Store_Key pointing to the HQ, Division or Region records in the Dim_Store table?

Thank you

Endre

Rows for HQ, divisions, etc need to be in the store dimension. And yes, the fact will not have keys referencing higher levels. Just the key to store.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down