Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I use a Bridge Table?

2 posters

Go down

Should I use a Bridge Table? Empty Should I use a Bridge Table?

Post  MikeGB Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi All

I am currently designing my company's first Data Warehouse, In the past they have just restored business databases and queried them. I have worked in a BI environment before but I have never used a bridge table and so I want your advice on this to see if I need one or not.

We currently collect all credit and debit card transactions from shops, supermarkets etc on a daily basis for Merchants that are our clients. In our business application the structure of the clients is as follows.

Account (Sometimes a parent account) --> Site --> Terminal (point of sale)

Each account can be linked to multiple sites and each site to multiple terminals.

So at the moment I have a Dimension for each account site and terminals, each account and site are unique but the terminal number can be used on a different site and account if there is a change of owner, so this is a slowly changing dimension.

The daily data that we get is at a terminal level. So I have two options:

1) Put the Account Id, Site id and terminal Id FK in the fact tables along side each other or
2) create a bridge table and use the keys from that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

MikeGB

Back to top Go down

Should I use a Bridge Table? Empty Re: Should I use a Bridge Table?

Post  BoxesAndLines Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:58 pm

You would only need a bridge table if a transaction applied to multiple terminals. I don't believe that is the case, so Option 1.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeGB Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:50 am

Your right, only at transaction can go through only 1 terminal. Thanks for the response on this. I shall design it without the bridge table and see how that works then.

Cheers
Mike

MikeGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down