Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non additive facts in fact table

3 posters

Go down

Non additive facts in fact table Empty Non additive facts in fact table

Post  DMModeler Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:07 am

Hi
I would like to know if non additive and additive measures can be placed in same fact table where almost all the dimensions are common and can be shared as well as the granularity is also same (for both additive and non additive one), except that few dimensions are not applicable for few non additive facts or for few additive facts. I am bulding a financial / banking model where the source system would send pre computed measures (after going through a complex logic).
Is there any best practice or guideline followed in the industry in general, which says to seprate all non additive facts into a different fact table.

Thanks

DMModeler

Back to top Go down

Non additive facts in fact table Empty Re: Non additive facts in fact table

Post  sgudavalli Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:25 am

As long as the granularity is same its ok to have them in the same fact. i dont see any issues...

sgudavalli

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:40 am

DMModeler wrote:Hi
Is there any best practice or guideline followed in the industry in general, which says to seprate all non additive facts into a different fact table.

Thanks

No sir. They live in the same fact table as additive facts. BI tools understand whether a metric is additive or not. For others querying the database directly, there should be documentation (usually developed by the data modeler) describing each metric and its associated metadata.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down