Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multiple fact types in one fact table

2 posters

Go down

Multiple fact types in one fact table Empty Multiple fact types in one fact table

Post  MaureenSy Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 am

Hi,

I'd like to get guidance on the best way to set-up a datawarehouse, with 3 different fact types.
These fact types have 95% of their fields as the same, ie product, customer etc.

To build the reports, I also need to link 2 fact types at a time.

Question is: should i load these 3 diff fact types to one table or have each fact table have it's own table.
What are the pros and cons?

Am thinking more of having separate fact tables - as i will be joining data later on within the same table. ie. sales and inventory joins.

Thanks!
Maureen

MaureenSy

Back to top Go down

Multiple fact types in one fact table Empty Re: Multiple fact types in one fact table

Post  ngalemmo Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:37 am

Generally it is a really bad idea to try to put disparate information in the same fact table. Especially if you are talking about things like sales and inventory. Keep them separate.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Multiple fact types in one fact table Empty Re: Multiple fact types in one fact table

Post  MaureenSy Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:09 am

Thanks for the response!
Just to make sure i can rationalize the decision, given that they will be joined to produce derived measures. (so business might say the data is not exactly unrelated)
1. if i extend the column to hold the additional measures for the same set of products - this will complicate loading process with respect to joins for column population
2. if i extend the rows, to have several fact types within the same table - this will complicate the report creation due to join within the same table and impact performance

Did i get the Cons correctly? are there other keys considerations?

MaureenSy

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Yes, those are cons. I am sure there are a whole lot more. The thing is, there are no 'pros' for doing it.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down