Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dimension hierarchies having One child multiple parent

3 posters

Go down

Dimension hierarchies having One child multiple parent Empty Dimension hierarchies having One child multiple parent

Post  arnayj Thu May 23, 2013 2:14 pm

It getting difficult for me to handle this scenario that one child belongs to different parents as shown in e.g. below.
Any pointers to solve this kind of model so that we are getting correct sum values using hierarchies will be highly appreciated.

RootParent =>
Parent1 =>
Child1
Child2
Child3
Parent2 =>
Child1
Child10
Parent3 =>
Child2
Child20
Child21

arnayj

Back to top Go down

Dimension hierarchies having One child multiple parent Empty Re: Dimension hierarchies having One child multiple parent

Post  ngalemmo Thu May 23, 2013 2:49 pm

You need to carry some form of a weighting factor in the hierarchy structure to allocate values of the children to their respective parents.

ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Dimension hierarchies having One child multiple parent Empty Re: Dimension hierarchies having One child multiple parent

Post  Mike Honey Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 pm

This challenge is best solved with a cube technology eg SQL Server Analysis Services.

I would build a bridge (view or table) (e.g. "Bridge") which represents all the intermediate relationships between children and parents. I would add that to the SSAS cube design. I would create a dimension (e.g. "Hierarchy") where the key is the concatenation of Child and Parent Keys, which would join directly to the new bridge. You also need a dimension (e.g. "Children") where the key is just the Child Key.

For the dimension usage, "Bridge" is related directly to "Hierarchy" and "Children". Other Facts are related directly to "Children", but related via a Many-to-Many relationship to "Hierarchy".

This solution savoids the issue of double-counting - SSAS correctly aggregates any Other Facts at every level of "Hierarchy".

You can output via Excel Pivot Table, SSRS report (using Aggregate function) or any tool capable of an MDX query.

Good luck!
Mike
Mike Honey
Mike Honey

http://www.mangasolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down