Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Get Subdimension (outrigger) count (built using Bridge Table)

2 posters

Go down

Get Subdimension (outrigger) count (built using Bridge Table) Empty Get Subdimension (outrigger) count (built using Bridge Table)

Post  raghuk Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:02 pm

Hello,

How do I get the subdimension count?

I have a table

FactPolicyAggregate
DimAutoVehicles
DimAutoDrivers

AutoVehicles and AutoDrivers have effective and expiration dates.

How do I get the number of AutoVehicles and AutoDrivers, who are

1) Active as of the end of month.
2) Not active at the end of the month?

Thanks,

Raghu.

raghuk

Back to top Go down

Get Subdimension (outrigger) count (built using Bridge Table) Empty Re: Get Subdimension (outrigger) count (built using Bridge Table)

Post  ngalemmo Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:20 am

Usually, things like this are handled by building a snapshot aggregate table. Trying to do this as queries against a detailed fact table using traditional BI tools is problematic and slow. It gets worse if the user wishes to do time comparisons (such as year over year). Building a snapshot allows you to embed classification logic in an ETL procedure or stored procedure, making queries simple and fast for the end user.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Get Subdimension (outrigger) count (built using Bridge Table) Empty Re: Get Subdimension (outrigger) count (built using Bridge Table)

Post  raghuk Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:53 pm

Nick,

Thank you for your insightful answers, as always.

So, is it a correct statement if I say 'Aggregate tables should always be a star schema for ease of operations'?

Thanks,

Raghu.

raghuk

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Yes.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down