Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purchased Industry BI Data Model

3 posters

Go down

Purchased Industry BI Data Model Empty Purchased Industry BI Data Model

Post  kevmel93 Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:09 pm

We recently purchased a industry specific physical BI data model from a vendor. Along with the physical data model, this purchase also included ETL support from the vendor and canned reports that were designed by the vendor. There has been quite a bit of debate in regard to whether or not we just implement the table structures as is or if we should customize the data model to meet our needs. Our company has well established data modeling best practices that we have been consistently following in the past, e.g. naming standards, standard abbreviations, class word guidelines, and so forth, but upper management wants to throw these best practices out the window in regard to implementing the purchased physical data model. If the purchased model has a column named a ORANGE but our company calls these data items APPLES, they want us to use the name ORANGE and so forth. They are really striving for quick delivery to market. What are your thoughts? What are the cons of this approach? (if I can come up with a comprehensive list of downfalls in regard to this approach, I am hoping that I can sway upper management to change their decsion)

kevmel93

Back to top Go down

Purchased Industry BI Data Model Empty Re: Purchased Industry BI Data Model

Post  DilMustafa Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:48 am

Buying vendor based logical models and generating physical models is a common practice. I know Teradata sells some industry standard logical models for data warehousing. Your case is different though, did they only sell physical model to you. Which industry are you guys in? What functionality will you lose by changing the field names. in your case ETL and Reports are prebuilt as well. So a small change in field name could trigger report name and etl name changes as well. Considering you may have 100's of etl jobs and reports the process could become very messy. Is there a way to change the names at the report level? I will recommend creating views if the database itself is business facing. I would not go for changing the field names in this case.

DilMustafa

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:54 am

Karen Lopez has written a presentation on this topic. You can find it here. Scroll down to "Starting with More Than a Blank Page - 2009".
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down