Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snowflaking for two things,

2 posters

Go down

Snowflaking for two things, Empty Snowflaking for two things,

Post  ian.coetzer Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:17 am

Hi

Currently my proposed dimensional models are very much star-schema.
Except for 2 dimensions ....

DimAudit and DimSource.

Since all my dimensions and facts will be referencing DimAudit and DimSource it will result in a bit of snowflaking.

Is this okay?

Or should I rather have a field in all my tables called: SourceCode which will contain a text code/name identifying the source of the data records?

(I don't want to start snowflaking again like I did in my proof of concept several months ago)
ian.coetzer
ian.coetzer

Back to top Go down

Snowflaking for two things, Empty Re: Snowflaking for two things,

Post  ngalemmo Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:33 pm

I assume dimAudit is a run log and you tag rows when updated or inserted by the load process. Having a FK on every row (dimension or fact) is fine. I tend to consider such tables as 'back room' tables that don't play an active role in the end-user experience.

As for source code, I use it as part of the dimension's natural key. This allows you to integrate data from different sources and ensure unique natural key values. The source code may represent a source system or it may represent an authority that is the basis for the particular code. I would also have a source code table, but again, this would be a 'back room' table purely for documentation purposes that contains a list of codes and descriptions. There would be no need to actually define an FK reference as such codes are usually set by literals in the ETL code.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down