Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is it ok to join two fact tables on a degenerate dimension?

3 posters

Go down

is it ok to join two fact tables on a degenerate dimension? Empty is it ok to join two fact tables on a degenerate dimension?

Post  salaman Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:02 pm

The title question is kind of rhetorical because I didn't actually think it was a common practice but I was hoping someone could offer an alternative :).

Let's say I have a fact_service_provided table where each row describes a service that the business provided to a customer as show below.

fact_service_provided
customer_key
date_completion_key
service_id (DD)
some facts

Now, after the service has been provided Quality Control might take place on random services. And this process is modelled by a fact table called fact_quality_control_transaction, where each row represents an action that a quality control officer (these could be different people) carried out on a service. A specific action may also be carried out multiple times on the same service at different times.

fact_quality_control_transaction
quality_control_officer_key
date_key
action_key
service_id (DD)

A typical question that the business might ask is: How many of the services that we delivered in March had the following action(s) performed on the service?

I can't see how joining on the degenerate dimension makes any sense (one of the fact tables would have 800+ million rows) but I can't figure how best to work around this. Because the business want to constrain on service it almost seems like service_id should sit in a dimension of its own but having a one-to-one mapping between a dimension and a fact table doesn't seem right either (not least because I'd have a dimension table with 800 million rows in it).

Any ideas?

salaman

Back to top Go down

is it ok to join two fact tables on a degenerate dimension? Empty Re: is it ok to join two fact tables on a degenerate dimension?

Post  ngalemmo Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:42 pm

First off, you do not join fact tables. Period.

A fact table has a many-to-many relationship with any other fact table.

What you DO join, are the results of sub-queries against the fact tables. The sub query aggregates each fact table to the same grain (i.e. attributes of common dimensions). The aggregates have a 1-1 relationship with each other.

The join can involve degenerate dimensions or full dimensions, it doesn't matter.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

is it ok to join two fact tables on a degenerate dimension? Empty Re: is it ok to join two fact tables on a degenerate dimension?

Post  salaman Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks for the quick response. So if I understand you correctly, the question "how many services that were delivered in March had a specific action" could be answered like this:

Aggregate the fact_quality_control_transaction table (which is more granular) for a given time period and specified action. And then join those results against my fact_service table (by the degenerate dimension) to find how many of my aggregated result set exist in fact_service for the same specified time period.

salaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Or count distinct services that had the action from the QA Fact table.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  salaman Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Jeff Smith wrote:Or count distinct services that had the action from the QA Fact table.

Thanks Jeff.

I forgot that the date_key in the QA fact table relates to the date when a QA action was taken - which could be days or weeks after the service was completed.

Would adding a service_completed_date_key to the QA fact table be advisable? Although this would result in repeating values for a given service_id it does mean that I would be able to filter on this date_key to make the "count distinct services" query more efficient.

salaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down