Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

datawarehouse modeling

3 posters

Go down

datawarehouse modeling Empty datawarehouse modeling

Post  Tesla0306 Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:13 am

I'm modeling data warehouse for some kind of helpdesk system also this si my graduate work and first project. Question i have is it possible to connect two fact tables. For example fact table Problem(FactProblem) stores informations about problems that customers have reported than it generates one or more work tasks. Work tasks are stored in FactRadniZadatak table. These facts have common dimensions like status, date, employee...

I want to be able to answer what tasks has foloving problem generated by drill down
Here is dw diagram

FactRadniZadatak -> worktask
DimDjelatnik -> employee
DimKlijent -> customer
DimTipGreske -> problem type
DimRazvojnoPodrucje -> department
DimPrioritet -> task priority

datawarehouse modeling Unledrq

Thanks for replay

Tesla0306

Back to top Go down

datawarehouse modeling Empty Re: datawarehouse modeling

Post  ngalemmo Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Facts are combined by joining two sub-queries. Each sub query aggregates one of the fact tables along dimensions common to both fact tables. You then join the two aggregates.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ObjectiveC Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:17 am

ngalemmo wrote:Facts are combined by joining two sub-queries. Each sub query aggregates one of the fact tables along dimensions common to both fact tables. You then join the two aggregates.

Hello ngalemmo,

Will this not be terrible on performance ?! I mean isn't it better/faster to just put it all in one big fact table with some junk dimensions, since both tables already have common dimensions.

ObjectiveC

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Not really, and performance isn't the issue. The relationship between any two fact tables should always be assumed to be many-to-many. By aggregating each table along common dimensions reduces that relationship to one-to-one, which allows you to combine the two.

Alternately, you can union the two queries either before or after aggregation. This does the same thing, may perform a little better and avoids the need to do a full outer join.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down