Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Relationship between view-dimension and fact table

2 posters

Go down

Relationship between view-dimension and fact table Empty Relationship between view-dimension and fact table

Post  Markus627 Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:15 am

Hi,

I've read about the method to generate one date-view for each date-attribute in the facttable(s).
There is no way to join a view and a table, I think. So it's not possible to use viewtables for date-dimensions, as told at page 110 in The DWH Toolkit.
What do you think about that?

Greetings
Markus

Markus627

Back to top Go down

Relationship between view-dimension and fact table Empty Re: Relationship between view-dimension and fact table

Post  ngalemmo Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:01 pm

I assume you are referring to role based FK references to the same dimension. For example a fact may have an order_date_key and a ship_date_key, both of which reference the date dimension.

There is no reason you could not create views of the date dimension for each role. You can join to the views, in most cases, with no difference in query performance.

Usually, this is not really necessary if you are using a BI tool for the user interface. Most tools permit aliasing tables to handle multiple roles, providing the same functionality in a easier manner.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down