Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Implement BI report project process

4 posters

Go down

Implement BI report project process Empty Implement BI report project process

Post  BI_reporter Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi, I have a task to develop a document that outlines the various process that goes on in the BI reporting project; beginning with Business Reporting Requirement. I have seen much information on a DW implementation but it does not help me. We have a DW already and probably for a new BI reporting project may need more data to be brought into the DW. I know each project is different but is there a basic set of process that each BI reporting project will always use? I am hoping for some help to direct me to where I can find these template samples ..

- Business client representative writes the requirement - template that shows the content that will go into the requirement document
- BI people receives the requirement - what's next? I am assuming they look at it and analyze, ask more questions etc ... how does the industry typically call this step ???
- BI people create prototype
- BI people design - ETL, model, reports - sample template
- Business client representative signs off the design
- BI people develop the reports
- Reports deployed

I have read about BI agile development. But I do not understand how and where does it relate in a BI reporting project process? Could you please help to explain how the BI agile development would work in a BI reporting project (please give examples)?

Thank you.

BI_reporter

Back to top Go down

Implement BI report project process Empty Re: Implement BI report project process

Post  ian.coetzer Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:15 am

Hi,
Unfortunately I do not have the answer ...yet...

But I am going through the exact same process now.

Our DW is 90% done and now we have to start considering the building of specialized CUBES / Reports and I also do not really have a good template to capture these functional / reporting requirements.

I can easily go back to my source-to-target mappings etc. to add attributes / measure and then we can implement those changes in the ETL layer - but I do not have a nice / good template for the next part of the solution (reporting).
ian.coetzer
ian.coetzer

Back to top Go down

Implement BI report project process Empty I may help you...

Post  DW_2011 Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi,

I gone through your post and understood that you require a template, to prepare a document describing various steps, to implement BI reporting to the already existing DW. If I am correct, I may help you. Please provide me your email address and also the industry of business, you are implementing BI.

Thanks

DW_2011

Back to top Go down

Implement BI report project process Empty Implement BI report project process

Post  snchunduru Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:48 pm

BI_reporter wrote:Hi, I have a task to develop a document that outlines the various process that goes on in the BI reporting project; beginning with Business Reporting Requirement. I have seen much information on a DW implementation but it does not help me. We have a DW already and probably for a new BI reporting project may need more data to be brought into the DW. I know each project is different but is there a basic set of process that each BI reporting project will always use? I am hoping for some help to direct me to where I can find these template samples ..

- Business client representative writes the requirement - template that shows the content that will go into the requirement document
- BI people receives the requirement - what's next? I am assuming they look at it and analyze, ask more questions etc ... how does the industry typically call this step ???
- BI people create prototype
- BI people design - ETL, model, reports - sample template
- Business client representative signs off the design
- BI people develop the reports
- Reports deployed

I have read about BI agile development. But I do not understand how and where does it relate in a BI reporting project process? Could you please help to explain how the BI agile development would work in a BI reporting project (please give examples)?

Thank you.

Let me try to clarify. What you mentioned is a process to develop reports derived from different approaches such as water fall or Agile. It is also preferred to align with any of the BI development methodologies e.g. Ralph Kimball. The other dimension to the process is to manage budget, resources, skills, timeline etc through a project management methodology e.g. Prince 2 or PMBOK.

In summary it is required to use different methodologies to manage various aspects of the BI project.

snchunduru

Back to top Go down

Implement BI report project process Empty Re: Implement BI report project process

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down