Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fact table

2 posters

Go down

fact table Empty fact table

Post  varun Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:24 am

I am working on an HR dimensional model and have a SALARY_FACT and COST_DISTRIBUTION_FACT. Can i combine these facts? Cost distribution is how and from wher the payments are made, (dimensions include; fund, cost center, order, functional area)
Salary_fact dimensions include job_posting, organization, Date

Both the facts have Person_employee_dim in common. I also want to know if i can separate Person_employee_dim and create two different dimensions, one person, one employee. If yes which one is a better option. Person dimension will include general person information, like name, address, ethinicity, etc. Where as Employee will include information related to that particular employee and his/her employement with the organization.

I appreciate the help.

thank you.

varun

Back to top Go down

fact table Empty Re: fact table

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:41 am

These sound like different fact tables to me. The primary deciding factor is not common dimensions but grain and type of fact table. If the grain is the same and the fact table type (transaction, snapshot, accumulating snapshot) is the same, then add metrics to your hearts content.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down