Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

customer and accounts

4 posters

Go down

customer and accounts Empty customer and accounts

Post  tim_goodsell Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi

I have two dimensions, Customer and account if an account can only have one customer is it better to put the customer key in the account dimension or have a customer/account fact table

Regards

Tim

tim_goodsell

Back to top Go down

customer and accounts Empty Re: customer and accounts

Post  BoxesAndLines Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Since these are two different things (entities), I would separate them. The only caveat is if "account" is just a synonym for "customer".
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:33 pm

I would keep them seperate.

Let's say you to create a Customer level aggregate. If you combine Customer and Account in one dimension, you would have to create a mini-dimension for customer and a view of the customer key and other relevant data from the account table. If the dimension table is big, creating a Customer view from the account dimension can be slow.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  umutiscan Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:34 pm

If an account belongs to only one customer, putting the customer key in account dimension is enough.

But be careful if your customer key is a surrogate key. If any change occurs in customer record, you create a new customer sk and you have to reflect this change to the account dimension table. You have to insert a new record, because of the SK change.

umutiscan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down