Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hierarchies with many attributes for each one

2 posters

Go down

hierarchies with many attributes for each one Empty hierarchies with many attributes for each one

Post  The_Maestro Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:58 am

Hi everybody, I have an issue with modeling a "Project Management" business process.

Tipycally, each sub-task rolls up to a task and each task rolls up to a project.

sub-task have many attributes that need to be constarined by "Team Leaders".tasks and projects also do.

Shall I make a flattened dimension let's say "sub-task_dimension" whith all attributes for sub-tasks, tasks and projects.
Or shall I make separate dimensions(i.e: sub-task_dimension, task_dimension, project_dimension) and if so how can I "slice and dice" along sub-task, task and project attributes ?

Any help will be appriciated.

The_Maestro

Back to top Go down

hierarchies with many attributes for each one Empty Re: hierarchies with many attributes for each one

Post  ngalemmo Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:26 pm

You have projects and you have tasks. Sub-tasks are tasks. Facts would reference the project and task. The task hierarchy is supported by a bridge table (exploded hierarchy).
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

hierarchies with many attributes for each one Empty Re: hierarchies with many attributes for each one

Post  The_Maestro Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks ngalemmo for help. In fact I am planning to use SSAS and SSRS based on my dimensional model. Did they support the bridging technique for handling hierarchies?

The_Maestro

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:40 pm

It allows you to access all levels of the hierarchy using simple SQL. Should be fine for SSRS. I haven't worked with SSAS, you may need to build a flattened version of the hierarchy, which is easy enough to do using the bridge. Maybe someone in the forum more familiar with SSAS can comment.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down