Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Granularity In two different Dimensional Models

Go down

Granularity In two different Dimensional Models Empty Granularity In two different Dimensional Models

Post  caladsantiago Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:12 pm

I have built two Dimensional Models, one for Sales business process and another for a Budget business process.
The Sales has a Client dimension with an attribute called channel, the Budget model can only have channel but not Client, the company doesn't do it in the client granularity, so I create a Degenerate Dimension in the Budget Fact table for the channel in this Model. Is this approach ok ? How can I join this two different dimensions inside an Analysis Services Cube? I've tried to create a relation between this two attributes in the DSV but when I explore the cube, the Budget value its the same for every channel when I use the client dimension channel, and its the same using the DD channel from budget, Sales are always the same for every value of the DD.

caladsantiago

Back to top Go down

Granularity In two different Dimensional Models Empty Re: Granularity In two different Dimensional Models

Post  Mike Honey Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:19 am

Hi ... calad ?

It sounds to me like you should take a step back from SSAS and redesign your dimensional model. Probably Channels should be a new dimension with relationships to your Sales and Budget Facts. Move all the Channel-related attributes to this new dimension.

Once you have your data structured that way, you can build a single Channels dimension in SSAS and relate the two Facts to it, then use that in your multi-Fact analysis.

Good luck!
Mike
Mike Honey
Mike Honey

http://www.mangasolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum