Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Representing Repeating Groups within A Dimension

2 posters

Go down

Representing Repeating Groups within A Dimension Empty Representing Repeating Groups within A Dimension

Post  4l4nrbl4ck Fri May 18, 2012 5:24 am

Hi,

What is the best way to represent repeating groups within a Dimension.

I have, for example, a simple start schema that has DIM_CUSTOMER and FACT_SALES.

For my customer, I want to record their nationality; however, for some customers, they may have multiple nationalities. How is this best represented?

There could be other data items that could have 1-n occurrences.

If it was a time related attribute, for example, Occupation, then I could have a slowly changing dimension, although some people have multiple concurrently running occupations that we may want to record.

Thanks,
Al.

4l4nrbl4ck

Back to top Go down

Representing Repeating Groups within A Dimension Empty Re: Representing Repeating Groups within A Dimension

Post  ngalemmo Fri May 18, 2012 12:38 pm

If you are in retail, good luck. It's hard enough to get a name let alone a nationality. It would seem to me that trying to collect more than one is a bit overkill. But, if you must, include a second or third column.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Representing Repeating Groups within A Dimension Empty Re: Representing Repeating Groups within A Dimension

Post  4l4nrbl4ck Sun May 20, 2012 4:05 am

Thanks for the reply.

It's actually a system for Criminal Justice. I was picking a common example, when using Sales.

Maybe this problem is not as common as I thought it may be. For some attributes, adding column1...column2 will certainly work. For some, not so easy when there are an unknown number of members in the group.

Let's say I was writing the Facebook 'advertising' Data Warehouse. I have DIM_MEMBERS, DIM_DISPLAYS_ADS and FACT_CLICKS_ON_DISPLAY_ADS.

Facebook allows its Members to record their Interests (to allow for targeted advertising), so I could also have DIM_INTERESTS.

A Member has many concurrent interests.

I wonder how the relationship between a Member, their Interests and the Facts would be represented?

I may want to run a report that shows the number of Ads clicked on my people under 21 and who are interested in Football and Rugby.

Al.

4l4nrbl4ck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down