Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To reuse or not to reuse staging table - That is the question

4 posters

Go down

To reuse or not to reuse staging table - That is the question Empty To reuse or not to reuse staging table - That is the question

Post  cjrinpdx Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:59 pm

I have a large staging table that I use to stage order, sub-order, product, and product part information. This staging table supports a fact table at the same grain. I need to create a new fact table at a different grain (one row per order). Should I reuse this same staging table to populate my new fact table, or would it be better to create a new one.

Thanks for reading.

cjrinpdx

Back to top Go down

To reuse or not to reuse staging table - That is the question Empty Re:To reuse or not to reuse staging table - That is the question

Post  hkandpal Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi,

basucally the stage should be associated with the source, if the source is the sam ethen you can use the same stage table and if it is a new source then it is better to create a new source.

thanks

hkandpal

Back to top Go down

To reuse or not to reuse staging table - That is the question Empty Re: To reuse or not to reuse staging table - That is the question

Post  MSR1987 Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Either you can roll up the grain to Order level while populating the data into Order Fact from exisiting staging table or create a new staging table with Order roll up data in it and directly move the data into Order Fact. Which one is easier?

MSR1987

Back to top Go down

To reuse or not to reuse staging table - That is the question Empty Re: To reuse or not to reuse staging table - That is the question

Post  ngalemmo Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:51 pm

cjrinpdx wrote:I have a large staging table that I use to stage order, sub-order, product, and product part information. This staging table supports a fact table at the same grain. I need to create a new fact table at a different grain (one row per order). Should I reuse this same staging table to populate my new fact table, or would it be better to create a new one.

Thanks for reading.

Is this a raw data staging table or a transformed (i.e. fact table format) staging table? If it is the latter and the content represents the net change to the facts, then sure, you can use it to load aggregates of the base fact table. If the staging table represents the raw data, no, I wouldn't do it that way.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down