Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prod Dimension used with Product Hierarchy Bridge table

2 posters

Go down

Prod Dimension used with Product Hierarchy Bridge table  Empty Prod Dimension used with Product Hierarchy Bridge table

Post  epekarik Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Our product Product Hierarchy Bridge table is working nicely to represent our variable depth Product Hierarchy.
All of our products, and product hierarchy levels are stored in the Product Dimension. Not BOM relationships, just straight top-down product families/groups/sub-groups etc.

I just had an interesting issue. Our products, based on the product family, have very different set of attributes. Since all of these products are in the Prod Dimension, therefore they are all in the Prod_Bridge table, should I have the sum of all different prod attributes in the Prod Dim Table? If so, I will have about 40% of prod attributes/columns empty because they have nothing to do with the given product in the row. Is that an accepted method?

Thank you
epekarik
epekarik

Back to top Go down

Prod Dimension used with Product Hierarchy Bridge table  Empty Re: Prod Dimension used with Product Hierarchy Bridge table

Post  ngalemmo Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 pm

It's a judgement call. You can either have a single table or you can break it up into a central table with common attributes and subtables with the same PK as the central table. The advantage, as well as disadvantage of breaking it out into smaller tables is, a query that uses an attribute in one of the smaller tables will only report products relating to those that have rows in that table. This may or may not be a desirable side-effect. In general, keeping one large table is not a problem.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down