Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difference between base fact table and aggregate fact table ?

4 posters

Go down

Difference between base fact table and aggregate fact table ? Empty Difference between base fact table and aggregate fact table ?

Post  pokemon Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:36 am

Hi I am new to data warehouse.
I want to ask two questions.
1) What is the difference between base fact table and aggregate fact table. I will appreciate if anyone explain it with example.
2) I have designed source schema (ER). Now I want to design dimensional model, what primary keys should be of each dimension ?

Thanks

pokemon

Back to top Go down

Difference between base fact table and aggregate fact table ? Empty Re: Difference between base fact table and aggregate fact table ?

Post  TheNJDevil Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:31 am

Go here:
http://www.kimballgroup.com/data-warehouse-and-business-intelligence-resources/kimball-core-concepts/

TheNJDevil

Back to top Go down

Difference between base fact table and aggregate fact table ? Empty Re: Difference between base fact table and aggregate fact table ?

Post  pokemon Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks but I could not get answer of my question-1 :-(

pokemon

Back to top Go down

Post  ngalemmo Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:37 pm

From Dictionary.com:

ag·gre·gate   [adj., n. ag-ri-git, -geyt; v. ag-ri-geyt]
adjective
1. formed by the conjunction or collection of particulars into a whole mass or sum; total; combined: the aggregate amount of indebtedness.
2. Botany .
a.(of a flower) formed of florets collected in a dense cluster but not cohering, as the daisy.
b.(of a fruit) composed of a cluster of carpels belonging to the same flower, as the raspberry.
3. Geology . (of a rock) consisting of a mixture of minerals separable by mechanical means.

An aggregate fact table is one made up of data from other fact tables.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hunypowell Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:36 pm

ngalemmo wrote:From Dictionary.com:

ag·gre·gate   [adj., n. ag-ri-git, -geyt; v. ag-ri-geyt]
adjective
1. formed by the conjunction or collection of particulars into a whole mass or sum; total; combined: the aggregate amount of indebtedness.
2. Botany .
a.(of a flower) formed of florets collected in a dense cluster but not cohering, as the daisy.
b.(of a fruit) composed of a cluster of carpels belonging to the same flower, as the raspberry.
3. Geology . (of a rock) consisting of a mixture of minerals separable by mechanical means.

An aggregate fact table is one made up of data from other fact tables.

Appreciate this one.Thanks.

hunypowell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down