Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tool to capture physical metadata, logical business model and relationship between the two?

2 posters

Go down

Tool to capture physical metadata, logical business model and relationship between the two? Empty Tool to capture physical metadata, logical business model and relationship between the two?

Post  MelSuarez Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:39 pm

I've been looking for a tool that allows the capture (not necessarily automatically) the physical systems, databases, tables and modules.

Then also allows the modeling of business areas, processes, entities and so forth.

Then lastly it allows capturing how the physical world supports the logical world.

Any thoughts?

I've built something and wondered, however, whether folks had found a tool that would support MDM and the self-service BI user as well as the development process. I came across Oracle Designer 2000 back in the day but it was geared at code generation but very well done.

Thanks,
Mel

MelSuarez

Back to top Go down

Tool to capture physical metadata, logical business model and relationship between the two? Empty Re: Tool to capture physical metadata, logical business model and relationship between the two?

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:45 pm

Something like ERwin or ER-Studio?
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Tool to capture physical metadata, logical business model and relationship between the two? Empty Re: Tool to capture physical metadata, logical business model and relationship between the two?

Post  MelSuarez Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Ok, a further requirement/need is that the metadata/models be maintained in a database for use in reporting, MDM support. Tools like ER-Win tend to use embedded databases, unless I'm mistaken.

MelSuarez

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:17 pm

You can access the ERwin metadata through an ODBC connection. You can also buy the web portal product which stores the metadata in a database repository. ER-studio also has a database repository. Or you could import into Informatica's repository. All sorts of options.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  MelSuarez Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Now you're talking. If they can be purchased with a database repository then we really have something. And an ODBC connection might work too. Don't know until I've tried to use it.

The thing that Designer 2000 had which I liked was the ability to model the projections of the logical on the physical. For example a Business Process (logical) could be mapped to screens and data stores and data flow modules (physical). I'll see what that tool has morphed into and if it's still around.

MelSuarez

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down