Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DW refresh strategy

3 posters

Go down

DW refresh strategy Empty DW refresh strategy

Post  SnowShine429 Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions about loading dimension and fact tables and I would appreciate your help.

I have 4 fact and 6 dimension tables that am updating/loading every night. We also load/update these fact tables two times during business hours. How do you guys typically load your DW tables? I look at the last modified date in the staging table and do an incremental load. For example, I have a fact table called Orders and it has Last Modified Date as a column. Each time the DW is refreshed, it will look at the last modified date field and pull only those orders that were modified since the last update. Do you guys have any better ideas? Should I rebuild the fact tables each time the DW is refreshed?

Thanks for your advise with this.

SnowShine429

Back to top Go down

DW refresh strategy Empty Re: DW refresh strategy

Post  BoxesAndLines Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:05 pm

What type of fact tables do you have? Generally, unless you are loading an accumulating snapshot fact, all transactions should be treated as inserts.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  SnowShine429 Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:49 pm

I have the same typical tables Orders etc. Can you please explain what you mean by "all transactions should be treated as inserts".

SnowShine429

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Orders is not a type of fact table. There are three basic types of fact tables, transaction, snapshot, and accumulating snapshot. You can browse the Kimball site and find the details about these three types. An Order fact is typically a transaction fact (if you wait until the order is completed). Each order line (a transaction) is inserted and you should never need to touch that row again. That's the beauty of a transaction fact table, insert and your done. The metric should never change. If the customer, product, or channel change, it's an update to a dimension table. You should never need to reload a transaction fact unless something goes drastically wrong.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  SnowShine429 Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks for your help. So you are suggesting I do just inserts(incremental). What about updates? For example, let's say there was a transaction entered yesterday and later it was modified to edit the quantity. Wouldn't this require an update to the fact table?

SnowShine429

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 pm

That is why you want to wait until the order is completed (i.e. no longer updateable). You want to avoid updates to the facts.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Honey Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 pm

In recent years I've been taking the opposite approach - by default I fully refresh all Fact tables unless I run out of refresh window or business requirements get complex. This seems to work well for 95% of Facts.

This has advantages that it is much simpler to design and build and therefore more reliable and easier to test. It also becomes trivial to add new dimensions or measures with a complete history.

With modern ETL tools this approach can be suprisingly scalable e.g. fully refresh a 160m row Fact each night in around 1.5 hours.

Last edited by Mike Honey on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : deleted "technically")
Mike Honey
Mike Honey

http://www.mangasolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SnowShine429 Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:43 am

Thanks again, based on my experience, waiting for transactions to "fully complete and not editable later" is an ideal situation. Just wondering what you recommend if one has to update the fact table due to the way business works.

SnowShine429

Back to top Go down

Post  BoxesAndLines Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:03 am

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Pipeline order analysis is best accomplished using an accumulating snapshot fact (where you do update the fact). Otherwise, most order analysis is done on final orders using transaction facts.
BoxesAndLines
BoxesAndLines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down