Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Role of the Inventory Transaction Fact Table Within a Value Chain DW

2 posters

Go down

The Role of the Inventory Transaction Fact Table Within a Value Chain DW Empty The Role of the Inventory Transaction Fact Table Within a Value Chain DW

Post  AndyD Fri May 03, 2013 10:52 am

When using an inventory transaction fact table should there be any connection to other fact tables within a value chain Data Warehouse?

For example, suppose the inventory fact table has a transaction type key. A user is querying the table and see's a a very large shipment transaction. They then want to know more about that shipment.

Should they navigate to the shipment fact table? If so, then how? I've seen within ERP's where a reference column is added to the inventory transaction table which can house a shipment number which can be used to join to the shipment table. However, I also know that joining fact tables is frowned upon outside of conformed dimensions. Should there then be a dimension created to support this? Not sure how to handle this and any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

AndyD

Back to top Go down

The Role of the Inventory Transaction Fact Table Within a Value Chain DW Empty Re: The Role of the Inventory Transaction Fact Table Within a Value Chain DW

Post  cjrinpdx Fri May 03, 2013 12:04 pm

I would try to link the two fact tables with the Product dimension.

cjrinpdx

Back to top Go down

The Role of the Inventory Transaction Fact Table Within a Value Chain DW Empty Re: The Role of the Inventory Transaction Fact Table Within a Value Chain DW

Post  AndyD Fri May 03, 2013 4:56 pm

Not sure how I would get to the specific shipment in the shipment fact table by using the product dimension.

AndyD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down