Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alternative 4: Forced Fixed Depth Hierarchy Technique

2 posters

Go down

Alternative 4: Forced Fixed Depth Hierarchy Technique Empty Alternative 4: Forced Fixed Depth Hierarchy Technique

Post  a_sherbeeny Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:44 am

In design tip "Five Alternatives for Better Employee Dimensional Modeling" by Joy Mundy, she discussed 5 alternatives for presenting hierarchical data one of them is the forced fixed depth hierarchy technique with a sample dimension structure as following :

[Employee Dimension]

Employee Key (PK)
Employee Personnel Number
Employee Name
Manager Personnel Number
Manager Name
Job Title

Employee Org Level Number
Level 10 Manager Name
Level 09 Manager Name

Level 01 Manager Name
Row Start Date
Row End Date

Could you please help me to find out how to fill out this table with below sample hierarchy specially in the top level case (A, G) ?

Alternative 4: Forced Fixed Depth Hierarchy Technique Hierar12

how to present it in the mentioned table structure ?

a_sherbeeny

Back to top Go down

Alternative 4: Forced Fixed Depth Hierarchy Technique Empty Re: Alternative 4: Forced Fixed Depth Hierarchy Technique

Post  zip159 Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:27 pm

The diagram you have is a bit confusing so I'll answer based on what I think it means.

I think the forced fixed depth hierarchy technique makes the following assumptions:

• The maximum depth is fixed
  • Each employee falls within a level
  • Each employee is managed by someone at a higher level
  • Each employee is managed by only one person at the next level up

The diagram you included does not seem to fit into the 3rd assumption.  A and G look to be at the same level but G is managed by A.

zip159

Back to top Go down