Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multi Language hybrid approach

2 posters

Go down

Multi Language hybrid approach Empty Multi Language hybrid approach

Post  osmreqork Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:18 am

Hi,

I'm just embarking on moving my small DW model into a multi language environment and am trying to find the best approach for some of my aggregate tables...

For example, an aggregate might look like this -

dateid (fk to date dim)
customerid (fk to customer dim)
itemtype (effectively a degenerate dimension)
sales (measure)

in the base fact table itemtype is an attribute of an item dim which would be translatable for example 'book', 'laptop' ...etc
For my dimension tables i am creating alternate language versions i.e datedimFR, datedimDE ...etc.

but for the aggregate i see some options -

1. add additional fields to the aggregate (itemtypeFR, itemtypeDE ...etc) - manageable as i will only have 3, maybe 4 additional languages to consider, but inconsistent with my approach to multi language dimensions (i.e replicating per language)
2. create multiple versions of the aggregate table as per my dimension approach - although this is just going to unnecessarily duplicate potentially large tables
3. turn itemtype into a shrunken dimension and treat it as per my other multi language dimensions - seems like overkill for a single field.

I am hedging towards 1 as, although i dont really like mixing approaches it seems like the most workable solution.

Any advice or possible alternative approaches would be appreciated.

Os.

osmreqork

Back to top Go down

Multi Language hybrid approach Empty Re: Multi Language hybrid approach

Post  ngalemmo Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Option 1 is problematic. It bloats the fact table, requires schema changes to add languages, and it strays from the pattern you have already established. Use option 3.
ngalemmo
ngalemmo

http://aginity.com

Back to top Go down