Kimball Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

View for each report

4 posters

Go down

View for each report Empty View for each report

Post  dwcurious Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:10 pm

It is proposed to have one separate DB view created for each report. What are the pros and cons of one distinct view for each report?

dwcurious

Back to top Go down

View for each report Empty Re:View for each report

Post  hkandpal Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi,

when you said view , did you mean a materialized view or a view ? How different are the reports from each other as the more views you create the more maintenance work you have.
If some logic is common for the reports then you can have a base view and build views on top of that ( this will help in maintenance )

thanks

hkandpal

Back to top Go down

View for each report Empty Re: View for each report

Post  Samsingh Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:11 am

It's OK to build separate view for reports as long as there is no way to separate them and they have distinct reporting logic to be implemented however if there is a feasibility to use single view and introduce further filtering on that view at report level then I would suggest that. This way when it comes to DB end logic you have only one or 2 objects to maintain and support. Again this strongly ties to requirement and where you want to have control when it comes to supporting those reports in future.

Thanks,
Sam

Samsingh

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Smith Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:17 pm

It makes it easy for the person creating the report, but the DBA won't be too happy. Plus, if the report changes, the view would need to change as well as the report.

If I needed to create a seperate view for each report, I would find a new reporting software.

Jeff Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down